Foundation / Corporation
Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK)
04/05/19 11:59 PM ET
Grants starting at $1,000 to USA K-12 schools and PTAs for projects and initiatives that support recreational activities and nutrition-based programming. Funding is intended to help schools become health-promoting and to provide an atmosphere where nutrition, physical education, and physical activity support learning to ensure that all students are healthy, active, and ready to learn. Funded schools will also receive expertise and support to help implement a successful project that leads to sustainable change. Funded schools will automatically be enrolled as an Active Schools Champion.
Game On aligns with the following components of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model: health education, physical education and physical activity, community involvement, family engagement, and nutrition environment and services. The WSCC model is an evidenced-based model that focuses its attention on the child, emphasizes a school-wide approach and acknowledges learning, health and the school as being a part and reflection of the local community.
Awarded schools will implement at least one physical activity initiative to advance at least one of the following:
- Physical activity minutes (to at least 30 minutes per day or by 10% if minutes are already more than 30)
- Percentage of students participating in physical activity initiatives
- Percentage of time students engage in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity.
Awarded schools will implement at least one nutrition initiative to advance at least one of the following:
- Knowledge of healthy foods and beverages
- Consumption of healthy foods and beverages
- Attitudes around healthy foods and beverages
- School nutrition environment
For a list of activities, see the Instructions document: http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/storage/documents/Game_On_Application_Instructions_V2.pdf#page=2
In addition, awarded schools will:
- Work toward becoming a health-promoting school.
- Provide information to students and parents on the importance of physical activity and nutrition.
- Complete AFHK’s School Health Index at the beginning and end of the grant cycle.
- Submit midterm and final reports, with photographs, to show project updates and results.
- Join the celebration during Every Kid Healthy Week by hosting a family-friendly healthpromoting event during April 2020.
GrantWatch ID#: 179725
Schools will be awarded a $1,000 grant or more.
Programs are to take place during the 2019-2020 school year.
Eligible schools must be in the United States and serve grades K-12. Unfortunately, schools that serve PreK or younger are not eligible. If your school serves PreK and older, you are eligible to apply, but your grant may not be used for PreK only (K-12 students must also be served).
Only schools, PTO/PTA or school health teams can apply for and receive grant funds. If a partner organization is interested in working with schools to implement school wellness programs, the organization is encouraged to take the lead in submitting the grant application with the approval of school representatives. The funds will go to the school and the school can spend them according to the needs of the grant.
Schools with greater than 50% of students eligible for free/reduced priced meals may receive priority.
To listen to a recording of the Game On webinar from February 20, 2019, click here:
- Monday, February 4, 2019: School portal opens to accept applications
- Friday, April 5, 2019: Applications due
- Monday, May 13, 2019: Awarded schools notified
- Friday, May 31, 2019: School Terms and Conditions due from awarded schools
Schools will attend Every Kid Healthy Week, April 20-24, 2020.
For more information about Game On grants, go to:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://afhkschoolportal.force.com/AFHK_Communities_Login
For questions, please contact your AFHK Regional Manager/State Coordinator: http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/about-us/our-team/state-coordinators
Or email: SchoolGrants@ActionforHealthyKids.org
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming